Registration for CON.TXT 2018 is now open!
CON.TXT 2018: The Joy of Fandom
The joy of fandom is our ability to remix, reshape, and rewrite our favorite media into something that pleases us. We change endings, we bring characters back to life, we reimagine Harry Potter as South Asian or Peggy Carter as Captain America, we put hobbits in coffee shops, boybanders in space, and Alexander Hamilton in a zombie apocalypse, we explore infinite timeline diversions, and most of all, we make our favorite characters get laid, fall in love, destroy their enemies, save the world, and buy some curtains. And always remember, there are no mistakes in Bob Ross paintings, just happy accidents.
Fandom is not always perfect, and it’s not always the safe space we wish it were, but at least it’s not the real world. With that in mind, we invite you to come and take a break with us, hang out with other fans in person, and celebrate each other and the media we love!
This year we are partnering with Eventbrite to handle our registration process. Click on the link below, and you will be taken to our Eventbrite page where you can sign-up and register. If you pre-registered at CON.TXT 2016, we will be automatically registering you with Eventbrite, and you will get a confirmation email at the address you gave us when you registered. If you do not receive that confirmation by October 25th or are unsure if you already pre-registered, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The price for a full weekend membership is currently $110.
2018 Scholarships Available
In the hopes of allowing more fans to attend CON.TXT, we offer several scholarships which cover all or part of the membership fee. For CON.TXT 2018 we have three different types available.
- Our Minotaur Scholarship is a memorial scholarship established by the CON.TXT concom for our friend and fellow fan Minotaur who was known for (among many other fine things) welcoming new fans and encouraging everyone to join in and have fun at fan gatherings and cons. This scholarship awards a full membership to one first-time CON.TXT attendee.
- Con or Bust helps people of color/non-white people attend SFF conventions; we are offering one full membership and one hotel night through this fine organization.
- Our Need-based Scholarship is made available partially through donations from fans; we will offer half-price memberships to fans who request them and, if possible, full memberships. Need-based Scholarship recipients are asked to participate by volunteering for at least two hours during the con weekend.
CON.TXT also accepts donations towards our Need-based Scholarship program! Please donate when you register to help another fan attend CON.TXT!
Book Your Hotel Room
CON.TXT 2018 will be held again at the Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City in the exciting Pentagon City neighborhood of Arlington, Va., just across the river from Washington, D.C. Events will begin the morning of Friday, July 27th and go through the afternoon of Sunday, July 29th.
RATE: $139 (plus tax) for a king studio; $159 (plus tax) for a queen/queen studio or a two-bedroom suite. (All rooms have a sofabed in addition to the specified beds.) This is a special CON.TXT rate, and it is guaranteed only until the beginning of July. Reserve early to ensure you get the type of room you want!
RESERVATIONS: There are two handy ways to book your hotel room.
- Call 800-331-3131 and reference the CON.TXT Women in Media Event at the Residence Inn Pentagon City to make a reservations at the group rate.
- To book online, click on this direct link: CON.TXT Women in Media Event.
Note: If you book online and attempt to make your reservation to check in prior to 7/26/18 or stay beyond 7/30/18, the system will respond that there are no rooms available. Also, if you are booking a room for two or more people, you will need to call the hotel after booking the room to add the additional names to the registration. (If you are planning to check in together, you are not required to add the names ahead of time; this is mostly useful for people who will be checking in separately.)
For more detailed information about the hotel and it's neighborhood, visit our hotel page.
To stay up to date, consult the Updates page.